Recent Posts

Friday, February 26, 2010

oh money...where are you???

I hate money.

I hate that we have to have it to live. Life would be sooo much better if money wasn't an issue all the time. I mean, when you really think about it, it is fake. It is just a piece of paper and at times, just numbers in a computer. All my money in the bank is just electronic money. It is so funny when I really think about it. But, in our reality, it exists and it must be made and saved.

The business is going great, don't get me wrong, it is just that as it grows, we see less and less of it, so that the business has enough to grow.

So we are living on a very strict budget now, and I mean strict. I am actually learning the concept of saving up for something now. In that past, I just always had more money than I could spend as a single person and then when Joe and I were first married, we had more than enough. I always had two jobs to make enough to pay for school, books, car, car insurance, gas, rent, etc. but I always had enough to spare.

But now, we have a son. And although he is small, he can sure burn our money right up!!!

So I have been brainstorming ways to make a little extra cash. We first started selling stuff around the house that we just don't need anymore. That brings in a little bit extra each month, but I want something that is a little more stable. I was reading a blog and got the idea, that I should just put some of my talents to good use.

I have decided to start making all my graphic designs, sketchs and drawings into scrap book paper. Now I know, this business is super saturated. I can think of at least 4 huge companies that do this, and I don't even scrapbook! Well, I do with my friend Ashley sometimes, but have only done it a few times.

What I want to know is, do any of you think it is worth it? I have some pretty cute designs, and I could come up with so many more, that have a main print, and then coordinating prints of dots, stripes, geometrics, solids and some cute complimentary prints. I was thinking of bundling them in packages of maybe 50 sheets or so. What do you all think???


Here is a taste of one of my designs...I think it is cute...what do you all think???

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I feel you on the money issue, I felt the same when I was single. It is quite an adjustment that I am still getting used to. I had to laugh because I am always thinking of things I can sell too. You have such a knack, that design is so unique and adorable. I LOVE it Heather, I say GO FOR IT! What do you have to lose?! I was just talking to Matt about starting a little business on etsy so that's what I have been telling myself :) Way to go putting your talents to good use! OH, and Grace and Dallin should definitely meet! ;)

Jamie said...

Hi Heather! It's funny that we're going through the same thing right now. I guess it makes sense though. :)

YES!! You should try to do a little something on the side like that! Did Joe tell you that Spencer and I are doing the same thing as you right now. We sold the four-wheeler, the motorcycle, and the truck soon! Also, the other house went back up for sale yesterday. And we just set up a super super strict budget (we've had beans and rice for dinner three times this week).

Anyway, I, like you, am trying to figure out a way to do something on the side and I'm totally going to do something. I figured even bringing in $50 a month to put in an "extra" fund would be nice. So yes. You're a great designer, you should totally do that paper idea. And I really like that one you have.

Brooke said...

I think you should do it Heather. I agree with Suzanne, what have you got to loose? You guys are business people. I think it will work :) I've been looking for things to sell around our house all week. Sign of the times huh? Ha!

Grandma Hansen said...

I really like this print Heather! I totally agree about the money thing...I saw an article in the new Costco magazine that talks about 3 23-yr olds who started a custom chocolate business using a blog they designed and offering free trials. The idea of beginning on a shoestring budget and using a blog to advertise what you offer is brilliant and so totally different than other ways of advertising. You know lots of people and the blog would be a way to show new designs and point to your website for purchases of custom products. You have the business savvy to do this. I would like to place an order right now, how about a canvas background of the print you just made, with a collage of Dallin inside it... about 8 x 10....

Suzanne said...

Ok, I just saw your comment on my blog and want to send you one in the mail! Tell me what colors and I'll get it to you as soon as possible. I'll even send a tutorial with it.:) It seriously costs me next to nothing to make so I'd be more than happy! I wish we lived closer too, I feel the same about you. We could have a lot of fun! Hope you guys are doing great!